Thursday, December 30, 2010

From 1 to 2

I was very nervous about having two children only 21 months apart. Two in diapers. Two that want/need to be held. Two that cannot be trusted alone for more than 10 minutes. You get the idea.
However, these early days have not been too bad. Two napping at the same time is heavenly. Of course, that means there will most likely be two awake at the same time eventually. Nate sleeps all day it seems, so Ben isn't quite as neglected as I feared.
But, if I look back at my blog posts of Ben's first weeks and the number of pictures on my computer, Nate is the neglected one by far! Honestly, I don't know what to take pictures of. I have a few of tummy time and a bath shot. What else? ha. I took hundreds of pictures of Ben. I need to work on this pronto!
The best part of having a second child so close is that I am far more relaxed about everything. I think I have personally chilled quite a bit since moving to Wichita (church planting requires a lot more flexibility than I knew I had). I remember being so nervous with Ben and wanting to do everything as perfectly as I could. I wanted to be with him at all times, never even leaving him with Ryan. I left Nate with Ryan when he was 4 days old to go check out a recliner. ha. I am very glad that I am not near as uptight with Nate because it has made this experience so much more enjoyable.
And Ben...he continues to bring us such great joy. He is a barrel of laughs, more frustration than I have ever felt, and able to melt my heart all within the same hour some days. He loves his brother as much as he knows how. He has tried to pull his hair out a few times, but other than that it is smothering hugs and kisses all day long. He helps me with diaper changes, brings burp cloths, and even tried to pick out Nate's outfit this morning. He goes with me into Nate's room to lay him down for each nap and to get him up. The funniest thing is his imitation of Nate over the monitor. Ben makes this awful sound as he tries to imitate Nate crying. It is quite comical when you know what he is doing, but could be disturbing for someone that did not know what he meant.
As I have already admitted, I am bad at taking pictures, so this is a photo-less post. Sorry!

2 comments:

The Saenzes said...

reading this makes me feel a little less scared about getting pregnant again and having two little ones!! And yeah, I totally hear ya, I'm so looking forward to being less uptight and what I like to call CRAZY in the early days with our next baby:)!!! Thanks for sharing:)

Edwin and Lilly said...

Amen, Amber on what you said! :) We always had trouble choosing photos to post for Jocelyn because we took TOO many photos. Now with Evan, we took a few here an there...I do feel guilty that poor guy has 70% less than his sister. But that means, there are less to sift through, so maybe I can be better at posting! :) Happy New Year!