Saturday, December 11, 2010

Nate's Birth Story

I am finally sitting long enough to write out Nate’s birth story. For those of you that are extra curious like me, read on. For those of you that don’t need all the TMI information, stop here and just know there is a happy, healthy baby boy in the end.

After my routine appointment on Wednesday morning, I was dilated to a 2, maybe more and thinning. My doctor thought he would arrive by the end of the week. On Thursday afternoon I had a cookie exchange and baby shower from the ladies at our church. I felt as normal as 38 weeks pregnant feels, no contractions, no other indications that he might come soon.

Contractions did start that night though at 4:00am. They were coming every 10 minutes and I wasn’t sleeping so I got up to shower and get dressed just in case we would be going to the birth care center soon. They continued to stay at 10 minutes and they were not very strong. Ryan went on to work at 9am and I called two friends to come over for a play date with their little ones to distract me. The distraction worked too well. I did not even notice any contractions during the hour they were here. This continued all morning; no real progression.

After lunch my contractions were very sporadic. Some were 3 minutes apart and quite strong. Some were 8 minutes apart and not strong at all. I was aiming for consistency and a reason to go to the birth care center. So, we went to the grocery store instead. We walked around all over the store and my contractions were leveling at 4 minutes apart and getting quite strong. We came home and put Ben down for a nap and I refused to sit down, just pacing around the house trying to keep them coming.

At 4pm we decided to go to the birth care center with contractions 3 minutes apart. A friend picked up my mom from the airport; her plane arrived at 4pm. Another friend sat at our house while Ben finished his nap.

When we checked in to the birth care center the lady at the desk said, “you look too happy to be checking in.” Alas, they let me come in. Then, I had my back to the lady that came to take us to our room. She said, “you don’t look pregnant from the back, but are you Amber?” That was a good way to start this experience. Since my pain tolerance is so high I was feeling perfectly fine when not having a contraction and was in control when having them. The nurses didn’t seem to believe me that I knew I was about to have a baby even though I was dilated to 4cm. They wanted to observe me for an hour and made me stay in my clothes, just walking around the room. After the hour I was 5cm so they admitted me. I had no intention of going home. It was 5:00pm. I asked for the birthing ball and they were asking all the initial admissions questions (ya know, the same questions asked by 10 different people and all put into the same computer). That took until 6pm and I was really having hard contractions and managing them by breathing, but I knew it wasn’t going to be much longer. (I never got out of the bed again to use the birthing ball.) The nurses still were not convinced. I asked to be checked. The nurse barely looked, immediately paged my doctor and started dialing someone else on another phone. When my doctor called back the nurse said, “I have Amber Carter and she is at 7cm…a few more graphic descriptions…bye! They were on the phone for 5 seconds and my doctor was out her front door.

Chaos began. People were in and out of my room and walking quickly. The resident on call came in and introduced herself to me. Everyone was prepping, I was about to have this baby and we were waiting for my doctor. I felt the need to push so intensely. Contractions were seemingly one right after another. I was just about to request the resident just deliver my baby when my doctor came rushing in. Everyone got gowned up and we were about to push. My doctor gave me my pudendal block, but there was not enough time for it to take effect. Then, my legs started cramping in my shins and calves. The pain from the legs cramping was worse than any pain from the contractions or pushing and I had no pain medicine. I was starting to freak out, unable to control the cramping. Nurses were rubbing my legs and Ryan had to go sit down for fear he would pass out from watching me in so much pain. My doctor did not want me to push until my legs were better, but Nate was already crowned and I could feel him right here! My legs relaxed just long enough for a few good pushes and Nate was born. With Ben, I couldn’t feel the pushing because of the pudendal block. I was much more nervous to push this time because I could feel the pain. But, I wanted that baby to come!

I was able to cut the cord and Nate was put on my chest. Since things happened so fast, I was never hooked up to an IV so they couldn’t give pitocin to help deliver the placenta. That seemed to take forever. Once it was delivered, Ryan almost passed out again for glancing at it. The nurses gave him a chair and a cold rag. They took such good care of him. Then, my legs started again. The doctor wasn’t even finished with me yet and my legs were hurting immensely. I had to be careful not to squeeze Nate since I was still holding him. I think everyone in the room took turns rubbing my legs, even my doctor! She seemed to have the magic touch, she could get them to stop briefly, but they would start again. I told her she couldn’t leave and she actually didn’t. She rubbed my legs for 15 minutes and even held my hand at one time while someone else was rubbing them. I couldn’t have asked for better care!

Eventually, my legs calmed down and I was able to begin to relax a bit. I drank all the juice and water I could handle to help rehydrate myself. (I think in all the excitement of contractions starting at home, I forgot to drink enough through the day.) Nate began nursing the second I put him to my breast and didn’t stop for a solid hour. Wow! We couldn’t even give out his weight and height stats because they let me hold him for almost 2 hours before taking him for all that. It was great!

My recovery has been even quicker than it was with Ben. I feel no pain and am not taking any medication right now. I am so blessed to have been taken care of so well and to have such a near painless recovery.

Ben is still confused as to why he has to be gentle with me and why I can’t pick him up. We are trying to find a happy medium that works for us both.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

This is me telling on Ray...

He said you sound like an "old hand" as you recount your birth story. :o)

I'm very glad everyone took great care of you and Ryan.

Edwin and Lilly said...

Congratulations you guys! Praise God for a smooth and great delivery. Will be praying for Ryan and his food poisoning....