7 years ago today, my dad died. My dad was a fun-loving man. He taught me all the things I know about the big, crazy world in which we live. He was always willing to goof off when we were supposed to be working. He taught me how to bait my own hook and love the art of fishing. He taught me the difference between a monkey wrench and a socket wrench and how to use them properly. He gave many lectures on condensation. I'm not sure why it was so important to him that my sisters and I know, but he sure drilled it in our heads, mostly on long car trips when we couldn't escape. Looking at my son makes me miss my dad a little more because they would have loved each other, but Ben will definitely know about him. I have lots of stories and pictures I can share. In the picture below, my dad took me along when he was invited to attend a special event at Six Flags over Texas in Dallas when they unveiled the Mr. Freeze roller coaster. (My maiden name is Freeze, in case you didn't know.) Along with about 100 other Mr. Freezes we were treated to a weekend press event for this unveiling. It was my first time to fly in an airplane! I loved every minute of it.
1 year ago today, Ryan graduated from seminary. This was a huge day for us. This marked the end of a long chapter in our marriage and started a whole new world for us. I graduated from college, we married and moved to Dallas and Ryan started seminary, all within about two months. Until graduation, we had never known married life without school competing for a large part of Ryan's time and attention. Life outside of school has been fantastic. Ryan is able to use all his knowledge doing a job he loves and I love watching him enjoy his work.
2 months ago today, my son was born. If you follow my blog, you know my whole world revolves around Ben these days. He has brought a great joy to both our lives and has allowed me to experience a whole new side of myself. I didn't know I would love motherhood this much. Granted, I have a fabulous baby that has been a piece of cake which makes my outlook that much brighter. I love taking him around town and hearing all the oohs and aahs from random people. I love the way all his grandparents and other relatives just adore him. I love the way our friends at World Impact have taken him into our big family here, loving to hold him and offering to babysit all the time (I haven't taken them up on it yet, but soon I think). I love watching Ryan hold him and love him. He is a wonderful addition to our family.

Today is my first Mother's Day. I remember Mother's Day last year. Three of my good friends had babies last May and I remember thinking about their first Mother's Day with a touch of jealousy. Today, I get to experience all those wonderful feelings I imagined they were feeling last year. And this Mother's Day I have a greater appreciation for my own mother than ever before. She and I are more alike in ways that I am still discovering. Of course I went through a phase where I didn't want to be anything like her (sorry Mom), but as I have grown older and now started motherhood, I appreciate all the things she taught me and all the ways I have taken on traits I see in her. Being the oldest, I think I had the advantage of getting to watch my mom more and participate as she took care of our household. I am so thankful for her example.
I know many of you that read this blog are mothers, so I wish you a very Happy Mother's Day from our family!
2 comments:
Happy First mother's day to you too. Thank you for sharing about the significance of all the May 10th's and the journey that God has brought you all through these years. May this mark your first of many fun Mother's Day experience to come! :)
-lilly
Thanks for sharing this post! It's great to learn a little more about your dad.
Post a Comment