Friday, January 28, 2011

Huhh...


One of Ben's favorite words lately is "huhh..." It drives me bananas! He knows exactly what I said and still says "huhh." It isn't even always a stall tactic, just a word that must follow every single thing I say.

Honestly though, I look at my life some days and think "huhh..." How did I get to this point in my life? A good friend of mine blogged about that same thought today and I have had that thought at least once a day for years now so I thought I would write about it too! She and I are pretty much in the same phase of life - pastor's wife, stay at home with our 2 kids, responsible for the cooking and cleaning. You know the life I'm talking about. I have been going through all my thousands of printed pictures this past week in an effort to minimize and eventually scan them all in. I have been reminded of the simpler days where my biggest life decisions were about which shirt might get the cute guy to notice me. (It never worked!) Then there was college where I had it way too easy (thanks mom) and ate what I wanted and stayed out late and laughed and laughed and laughed with good friends.

While those days were great fun and made wonderful memories, I don't mourn their passing at all. I started today by sharing donuts with my family, rode around town with the windows down with a loving husband next to me and the most beautiful little boys in the backseat. I had macaroni and cheese (so fabulous) with ham and broccoli for dinner. Sure, there was a load of laundry done, a large pile of dishes washed, lots of helping Ben to the potty and nursing Nate, but I'd still say it was a pretty carefree day.

It's definitely a different life, but I have no desire to go back in time to relive those days gone by. Adulthood is hard, motherhood is the hardest thing I have ever done and potty training is more tiring and isolating than I thought imaginable, but life is good!

Now, ask me again how good life is when the clouds and the cold come back :)

The outtake.
The baby of the family squeezes out the older kid. Oops.

3 comments:

Team Chamness said...

I totally have those moments where I'm amazed at where I am...married, with not just one, but two kiddos, a house, living away from my mother...couldn't have imagined.

God works in crazy ways :) Miss you guys!

Cara said...

Amen sister Amen- I wish we were neighbors... sigh. <3

Unknown said...

So true Amber. I feel blessed to be married to my best friend and to have such a rewarding job that I don't mind getting up each day to go. Even with the Sybil-like weather here, I'm just taken away at where I am when I consider where I've come from. Thanks for the help along the way!