Ryan took over as pastor of our church plant at the beginning of December. We work alongside a great team, but ultimately he is responsible for most things. On the Sunday after Christmas I wasn't really wanting to go to church because Ryan was preaching so that meant I had Ben and Nate by myself and Nate was only 2 weeks old. Ryan talked me into it and I went. One couple from our team, along with two other missionaries, were out of town that Sunday. The other couple on our team had family in town and they were at our service. Our church meets on Sunday evenings and we start with a potluck meal. Ryan and I walked in with our food and were immediately met by a couple that attends and they didn't bring food because it had been announced that the church was providing the food. (Remember, Ryan is the pastor and I handle all the finances of the church.) We had been home with a newborn when it was announced, but we had been there for the team decision to do this, we had just forgotten. Two other families did not bring food either. We had an exceptionally small number of people there, but only a meal for four and a cheesecake. It wasn't going to feed all of us.
Knowing it was pretty much our fault for forgetting about the church providing food, along with my unstable postpartum emotional state, I let some tears fall down my cheeks. I tried to hold it together, but it was too much. A few deep breaths later, I was ready to go.
A man offered to go to the store and get some food. He came back with three pieces of chicken from Popeyes. We quickly knew that wasn't enough food, so he went back. He called his wife to tell her what he got and she sent him back through the drive-thru to get more! We finally had enough food and we ate.
The service began. We have a tradition of lighting candles to open the service. We forgot to put the lighter by the candles. Ryan ran to the other side of the (unfinished) basement where we meet to grab the lighter. He came back with it only to realize we didn't have our reading sitting there either. The lady lighting the candles just said one line from the reading that she knew from memory and we called it good. We ask all members to participate in the service in some way. A lady was leading worship from a CD for the first time and was very nervous. We got one song in and the CD stopped playing! Ryan and another church member boldly (insanely) suggested we continue on acapella. I'm sure the Lord enjoyed it, but we wont be getting any calls for a record deal anytime soon. In the middle of our singing Ben innocently dropped a musical instrument and it busted and made a big mess.
We finally got to the preaching time and I took the boys to the other side where Ben can play and nursed Nate. The evening finally ended and I am sure I came home and ate ice cream to console myself.
I find it all hilarious now, but it was quite an evening! No matter how much we screw things up though, God redeems our lousy attempts and is blessing our church. People that previously have just attended church are starting to participate and we can only hope that it will continue and we will reach more people in the neighborhood for the Lord!
We were also giving out gifts that Sunday to the kids in our church. See the unfinished basement? It isn't anything like a traditional church, but it is the the body of Christ gathering to worship and share life together - it is definitely church!
No comments:
Post a Comment