Tuesday, November 9, 2010

20 Month Update

Mommy, Ben and Nate - just for fun!

Today Ben is 20 months old. In this past month he has added so many more words and even a few phrases. He is such a little man these days. He understands far more than I give him credit for. For instance, just yesterday he was helping me dust the house (he wants to help with everything). He wanted more dusting spray on his rag and I was asking him to give me a kiss first. He kept refusing and I said, "If you give me a kiss I will give you some spray." I fully expected him not to understand, but he ran over immediately and gave me a kiss on the cheek. I felt like the worst mom ever - bribing him with dusting spray for a kiss. ha. I will try to not make that mistake again.

We have tried to be intentional about teaching Ben how to do age-appropriate chores. It has been a lot of time-consuming work, but I think it is really paying off. He picks up all his toys before naps and bedtime. He knows his routine and anticipates it (ie. when we tell him it is bath time he goes to his room and starts to take off his clothes, but not without a stop in the bathroom on the way to remind us that he would like the color tabs in his bath water). He follows directions well which has been especially helpful being this pregnant. I can sit on the couch and direct him to toys by just saying "by the couch" or "under the table" and he understands and can go get things. He puts his jammies in the laundry each morning and his diapers in the diaper champ at each change. I could go on and on. While this is so helpful most of the time, it is also problematic at other times. He likes to get in all my things and use them as they are intended (watches, make-up brushes, blow drier, etc.). It also means he is not real happy to stay close by or in the cart at stores. He likes to run free and experience it all. We have some good trips and others that aren't so great.

NO! Ben's new and favorite word. He hasn't said "yes" yet, but he sure does know how to say "no." He uses it kindly most of the time, but he definitely knows how to project that little voice and tell us what he will and wont do. That has led to more time-outs which have been quite effective so far. I would say he doesn't get more than 2-3 a week right now so I am counting my blessings for sure!

Other words/phrases
"I want/need...a ball, up, my mommy, my daddy, out, cheese, nini (banana), more."

He jabbers constantly many words that seem to be intentional, but we cannot interpret. He has been saying something that sounds like "bobby" lately and we have no idea what he is trying to say!
"Hello!"
We spent over an hour one morning playing with all the couch cushions and the flashlights. It was the first time he discovered the flashlights and loved them.
This was his own invention. He got the chair up on the slide and positioned himself there. He was proud. I was nervous. No bones were broken.
Making pumpkin pancakes with Mommy.
Packed and ready to go like a big kid.
Playing with his friend Jackson. This was taken at the end of our weekly team meeting. The meeting goes until about 8pm and both boys are usually in bed by then any other day. They do well, but by the end they are ready to go home and be done.
I am loving footy pjs!

1 comment:

Lauren Zaffos said...

For some reason, I think I missed this post too. Hmm. I'm not doing a very good job keeping up!

That first picture of you and Ben is absolutley stunning! It kinda makes me want to be pregnant again, so I can look like you, but then reality hits and I don't want to puke for 7 mths :)

I love reading how you are doing intentional chores and such...and I guess every child is going to despise the grocery cart at one point...and LOVE the word no at some point too.

Keep up the good work! You are inspiring!

And Pumpkin pancakes? Are they good? I have some pumpkins wilting in my house...hmmmm.