Friday, July 10, 2009

Happy 4 Months

Ben is 4 months old today. We can't believe it has gone so fast, and at the same time, it seems like he has always been here. He has gotten so much more social and independent this month. He has taken on more personality, smiles constantly (we have gotten a few laughs) and has even tried to blow raspberries a couple of times in the last few days. He still rolls front to back, but not on purpose yet. He tries very hard to roll back to front, but ends up chillin' on his side instead. As soon as I think I figure out a routine for him, something changes. He was moving to a 4 hour feeding schedule, but after all the activity with all our guests, he thinks he still needs the attention and wakes up hungry demanding to be fed every 3 hours. Thankfully, he does still sleep through the night. He goes to bed between 6-7pm, I give a dreamfeed at 10pm and he wakes up between 6-7am. No complaints about sleeping in our home! He enjoys his bath a lot more these days. He kicks and kicks. He has taken notice of the letters that stick to the tub, but can't figure out how to get them off and into his mouth. His mouth is his favorite toy! Everything and anything must be tasted. I call him my "birdie" since he always has his little mouth open wide waiting for something to sample.


Our big boy!


Ryan said this is Ben's GQ look!


Ben had his 4 month check-up and shots. He now weighs 14 pounds, 10 ounces - 50% (he has doubled his birth weight) and is 25 1/4 inches long - 35%. We were surprised at his length, thinking he was longer than 35%. He seems long to us, but apparently, not too long. His sweet little head is only in the tenth percentile though. Again, he was a total He-Man when he got the shots. The nurse made me hold his arms down although he didn't try to fight me. He cried only when actually being stuck and stopped immediately when I picked him up. I kinda hope this doesn't mean he has a high pain tolerance because that could make for a more acrobatic childhood.

Dazed after shots.


The doctore gave us the go-ahead for starting rice cereal. Of course, I wanted to try it asap just for fun. And, of course, Ben didn't want anything to do with it. He did open his mouth like my good little birdie, but then promptly spit it all back out. He did seem to have the ability to take the spoon rather than push it right back out with his tongue. We will keep trying and see how it goes. I can't wait to start manufacturing my own baby food. I have been looking forward to it! This will be the first time Ben has ever cost us money. So many people have given us all the baby necessities and money and diapers just keep appearing on my doorstep, so we have been extremely blessed. I better get permission for a bigger grocery budget :) Let the pureeing begin.

What is cereal mom? Will I like it?




Whew, glad that is over. It just made a mess and I didn't even like it.


It has been steamy hot here, so we haven't gotten outside as much as I would like. Even sitting on my porch has become unbearable. I am really looking forward to the fall weather when we can spend more time enjoying the great outdoors. Yesterday, our air conditioner wasn't working for most of the afternoon (we got it fixed), so Ben and I were terribly hot in the house, even with all the fans on. Here are some Ben-in-diaper pictures.

Talking

Ooh, my book. I think I can...I think I can.

MOM! I got stuck in the blanket while trying to get my book!
He wouldn't move his face out of the blanket and did not like being stuck there.

1 comment:

Susan Jensen said...

Hey Amber! Enjoyed the pictures. What a sweetie he is. I hope we get to meet him someday. As for the shots, I think thats pretty typical behavior, at least it was for Gabe. I think that's one of those things that mommy's think will be horrible and then it's not, cause everyone I talked to said their baby was the same way (cried getting poked, but stopped immediately). It actually gets worse when they get older, and they're more aware of what's going on. Gabe's a pretty tough cookie. As for the feeding (I got a kick out of the video), I would recommend any books by Annabelle Karmel. She has great recipes for kids of all ages. Another hint for pureeing (Sp?) is to get ice cube trays made of silicone for freezing batches. I got a couple at the container store. They are expensive, but worth it in my opinion because everything comes out easily and in pretty good portions. I used one cube for when he was really little and then increased the amount of cubes as he got older. I guess maybe I should have sent all this in an e-mail! I homemade all Gabe's foods, so let me know if you have any questions!