Saturday, March 26, 2011

We Love Auntie Grandma Maren

All our biological family members are so very far away so we have forced ourselves on everyone here. Ben has various connections (ie. some sneak him candy while others share their chapstick) with many of our coworkers and we are so thankful that they love him as they do.

Maren once told me that she had a niece call her Auntie Grandma because she wasn't exactly sure of their relation. I liked the name and adopted that for Maren. Auntie Grandma Maren works in our hospitality ministry and works on our grounds at World Impact. She is often outside and we intentionally and unintentionally go for a walk to see her.

She has a small fire pit that she lights up often and lets us come enjoy the fun. She told us that a wax-dipped pine cone is a great fire starter. That meant Ben and I had a craft project to do! There is one tree on the grounds that gives pine cones. We spent a very cold morning out hunting for pine cones. Nate rode in the Moby wrap and had no idea how cold it was. Ben and I knew! We brought our pine cones home and dipped them in some melted candle wax. We took them over to the fire pit and it worked! Just one pine cone lit the fire quickly and it was fun to see our project work so well.

Admiring the loot.

He got the wooden spoon and wooden bowl himself - smart kid :)

Suited up and ready to go.

Quick nose-picking break. I have far too many pictures of this!

Concentration

Fire time! The good thing about Auntie Grandmas is that they let you make smores!

Ben also has a standing date with Maren to put bird seed in her bird feeder and water in the bird bath. I finally took my camera along to document it.

First we refill the bird feeder. He makes such a mess!

Then we put water in the bird bath.
He was trying to be patient to see if a bird would come eat or drink. I don't think he lasted long in the swing.
Always on the go.
Nate is just happy to soak up some beautiful rays.
As I type this blog it is 37 degrees outside. I want that warm sunny day to come back! The weather here is so unpredictable.

2 comments:

Maren said...

Of all my roles, Auntie Grandma is my favorite! Thanks Amber :)

Unknown said...

How adorable Ben is in his little hat!