Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Community Garden

I generally only blog about the boys because I know that is what you really care about, but our whole family is in ministry so there is a lot of our lives that I leave out. Here is a small glimpse.

I have never successfully grown anything! I kill all plant life (except the weeds that overtake our yard). I definitely don't have a green thumb.

BUT...being in ministry often stretches me in odd ways and so I will be participating in a community garden this spring. A generous donor purchased two empty lots one block over from our church plant for the purpose of making a community garden. He has brought in work groups to clean the lots of overgrowth, cement sidewalks and lots of trash. We have been canvasing the neighborhood to drum up interest. Participants will be given a 10x10 plot to tend in the garden. That is the part that scares me! Everyone one know which one is mine! ha.

This past Saturday the temperature was in the low 30s and it was sprinkling - just a nasty day - and yet about 30 middle schoolers showed up with their youth leader and cleaned out the lots some more. The whole Carter family came along to participate. Ben even brought his own plastic tools. He opted to pick up rocks and add them to the huge pile. I tried to be helpful in raking and bagging leaves. Ryan broke up massive pieces of cement! Nate was bundled in the stroller but once the drizzle started really coming down he started to protest. I can't blame him. Instead, the boys and I bought groceries and set up lunch for all the workers while Ryan continued to work.

Just another day in our lives. We wouldn't have it any other way.

The big rock pile Ben was adding to.

Ryan trying to decide if he really wants to pick up that massive piece of concrete.
Lots or work still to be done!



No comments: