Thursday, June 18, 2009

So Many Firsts

Something changed at 3 months! My little baby is no longer considered a newborn, but now an infant. (tear) My little infant is sitting up without immediately slumping over forward or to the side. He sits up on his forearms for extended amounts of time while on his tummy just taking in the world. He talks to me now almost every time he is awake. How did all these changes happen seemingly overnight?

He recently began using both hands to grab or hold things and bring them to his mouth. This is a short video of him eating his favorite toy and showing off his fine motor skills.


Yesterday he rolled over for the first time from tummy to back. I have pushed him over many times to encourage him, but this time he did it all by himself. So fun. Of course I didn't get a picture of the actual event, but here are some shots immediately after. (Yes, I know, first time mom syndrome, right. Pictures and bragging about every little thing. Beware: picture overload coming right up.)

"Rolling over was so much work, I spit up a little."

"Hey mom, did you see me roll over?" This is him saying his only word, 'Oh'.

A face he makes often. Can that lip go in any further?

"Huh? What did you say mom?"

"How many pictures are you planning to take?"

Ben's favorite friend, Mr. Elephant.

Ben also went swimming in his pool for the first time today. It was terribly hot today, so why not cool off in the pool? He was not a fan. He didn't mind his toes being in, but did not like his bottom in. I can't blame him. He is used to a warm bath and that hose water was freezing cold. But, we tried!

Our yard has no shade and is pretty rough, so we packed up and went across the street to the World Impact grounds to play in the pool. Thanks Aunt Can Can for the swim gear.


This is the way he preferred swimming - out of the water.
Swimming with all our friends.
There are 4 children (8, 6.5, 4.5, 4 months) that live in the World Impact housing across the street from us that came down to play when they saw us in the pool. And, another couple is visiting from California (wish it was the Velasco fam) right now that has 2 little girls (6, 4) that also swam. It was fabulous. Although all the big kids are in the bigger pool for this picture, I think they all spent equal time trying to cram into Ben's pool once he and I went to chat with the moms while the kids swam. Sometimes this motherhood role is surreal - I can't believe I am the one changing a diaper on the patio table and chatting about anything and everything with the moms while the kids play. I am afraid to blink or my kid might be one of the big ones running around and playing rather than sitting content in my lap.

2 comments:

Edwin and Lilly said...

Ben is growing so fast! Such a hunk! -lilly :)

Cara said...

For the love- DON'T BLINK! DON'T DO IT! Tomorrow he'll be running around and you'll be saying, "Be careful, Don't do that, and Come here please, Momma would like a cuddle" Just to be ignored by all of it. :) Such a fun stage Ben is in, learning something new everyday. Wish I could get a little cuddle from him!