Monday, September 6, 2010

White Flag of Surrender

I hate to lose at anything! If I don't think I have a chance at winning, I would rather not play. My dear sisters know that well (I always changed the rules so I could win) and my dear husband has learned it as well (my favorite games are ones in which I can beat him - no Trivial Pursuit!).

I have decided to surrender my efforts in moving Ben to his big boy bed. On Saturday he napped decently, but that night he woke up and came to our room crying about six times. At 5:15am I just got in bed with him so Ryan could sleep a little more (why do I do that because Ryan slept through all the other times Ben woke up? ha). Ben and I both fell asleep until 7:30am, but we were still tired from a rough night. Ryan left us home from church and I was sitting in the glider in Nate's room, listening to my sweet boy crying in his room and I did a little soul searching. I realized we have two sets of grandparents coming in the next two months, we will be traveling two different times in the next two months, my little boy isn't even quite 18 months old yet, he was sleeping beautifully before we did this, Nate is still quite a ways off from needing the crib, and probably a few more things. It was suddenly obvious that I had no good reason for moving Ben, so once Ryan got home we took the crib apart, moved it into Ben's room and he has been sleeping like my angel child ever since and I feel a huge load off my shoulders.

So, for all the wins I have had and will have when raising Ben, I will chalk this one up as a big fat loss and move on! It still hurts to admit defeat, but we are all so much happier now. Thank you God for grace and a husband and son that still love me when I mess up!

This is how Ben feels about the US Open. Ryan and I were vegging in front of the tv Sunday afternoon. Apparently Ben wasn't quite done with his nap and quickly fell asleep watching the ball go back and forth (he loves seeing any ball in real life or on the tv). Not my best preggo pic every, but Ben sure looks cute!

2 comments:

Kat said...

Aw, it's not defeat to reevaluate something that's not working and decide that the timing isn't right yet. It sounds like you guys have tons of good reasons to wait. For what it's worth, Keves slept in the pack&play for 9 months because Kenzi wasn't ready to leave the crib (she was nearly 3 before we did a big bed) and I saw absolutely nothing wrong with that. If everyone's sleeping happily in their own beds, why mess it up unnecessarily?

Kennedy Crew said...

If you are going to start keeping track of the wins and losses, you better get a big book and a whole pack of pens!! I can still remember (I think) being the first time mommy, which didn't last long like you. I hope you are really not beating yourself up. You are a great mommy and Ben & Nate will only continue to "play games" that you won't win. It's just life and it changes frequently! I hope everyone is resting great now :)
~Salyna