Friday, September 3, 2010

BIg Boy Bed Update

We have officially begun the process of moving Ben into the bed and out of the pack n play. We knew when we started that the pack n play was very temporary. He is too big to sleep in it regularly and it is just an annoyance to put up and take down 3 times a day for naps and bedtime.

The process began Thursday night when he woke up screaming at 10:30pm. He is getting yet another molar so I put some orajel on and calmed him down. As I stood there over the pack n play, looking at the bed, I decided to do what I said I would never do - sleep in the bed with him. He has been waking at 4:30am, maybe 5am, quite a few nights in a row and I was really curious if something outside was waking him. His new room faces the street, ours does not so there is no way for me to know if something is happening outside that is bothering him. So, I laid him down and crawled in. He didn't budge. He slept soundly all night. Except for the many times he kicked me when rolling around, I don't think he had any idea I was in the bed with him. I heard no strange noises in the wee hours of the morning, so my research was inconclusive as to why he is waking so early, but it did spur me on to move him to the big bed.

Day 1 Report:
10am nap took 45 minutes to get him to sleep, but he did lay there on his own and stay in the bed. He slept 10:45am - 1:20pm. *I must admit that he was on Benadryl though because he woke up with horrible allergies. He slept so long that he refused an afternoon nap which wasn't surprising.
Bedtime took 30 minutes to get him to sleep. He cried a little while, but stayed on the bed and slept all night.
He woke at 6am this morning. He "called" to us a few times and then we heard pitter patter down the hall but he walked right past our room. I find that humorous because he and I always go wake up Ryan each morning so he knows he can open the door and that is where we are.

Day 1 - I call it a success.
Day 2 is underway, but you will just have to wait for the results until tomorrow. I am pretty sure my son is as stubborn as I am, so we will see how long he wants to fight me on this. I'm in it to win it :)
I didn't dare risk the flash so it's not very good quality, but look at my little sleeping boy on his big bed!

No comments: