Saturday, March 13, 2010

Ben's 1st Birthday Party

Warning: Picture overload!!

Today was Ben's 1st birthday party. We had many friends / coworkers that joined us for a fun time. Ryan definitely wins husband of the year because he took care of Ben all morning, went to two grocery stores to find some baking powder (I thought that stuff never ran out :) and he helped pick up and get everything ready for the party. I could not have done it without him. Thankfully, the big 1st birthday only happens once.

Trying to get all the kids together for a picture was impossible, but lots of fun to watch. Ben didn't move from that spot, but everyone else was all over the place.


We had a friend take pictures for us which was wonderful because I could just enjoy all our company and watching Ben without worrying I was missing the chance to document something wonderful. Ben got a cold yesterday and has been feeling very lousy. He was pretty out of it for the party. He just sat in the middle of the floor and watched everything going on around him. Poor baby.


He got his first real piece of cake. Like we expected, he was not too sure about it when we first gave it to him and then slowly, very slowly, decided to devour it. He did it very neatly though and with only one hand for the longest time.

I finally put the first bit of icing in his mouth so he would try it. He got a little on the side of his mouth and was trying to lick it off.

Another trick - he does a great fake yawn. It is hilarious.

He stood in the middle of the floor keeping his balance for a good 60-90 seconds and then sat down, never braving a step. We all watched and clapped and called for him to walk, but he just stood there proud of himself. It wont be long now.

The decorations: I hung some of Ben's outfits with pictures of him in those outfits, coming home from birth care center, 3 months, 6 months, 9 months and 12 months.

The table: Ben loves balloons and we had orange punch, rice crispy treats with chocolate chips and the most fun sugar cookies ever.

Priscilla, thanks for the coolest cookie cutters ever. Everyone asked how I did it! It was so much fun.


My mom comes to town tomorrow afternoon. Hopefully the weather will hold up, it has been dreary and rainy for a few days. I have gotten Ben's cold and Ryan is not feeling completely well either, so this might be an interesting next week. We took video of him eating the cake, but it is 8:54pm while I type and it is the night of springing forward, so I like to think it is 9:54pm and that means I need to go to bed. Goodnight.

2 comments:

Ryan Carter said...

Good times. But husband of the year? Try of the century...:)

Unknown said...

Yeah for the cookies! Oh, and Ben looks adorable too! :o)