With Nate's first birthday passing just a few days ago, my mind has been continually traveling back to the first moments that I spent with my new son. I can picture those first few moments with both of my sons so clearly. Those are the moments that I treasure in my heart. Today, the house was far too quiet and I knew both boys were in the playroom. I went to look and found them both in the library of the playroom with Ben reading books to Nate. I took a moment to treasure that in my heart.
If moments like that can touch me so deeply and personally, what must Mary have been thinking? Many people came to visit both Ben and Nate in the birth care center when they were born and while some brought gifts, they were not coming to worship a King! Mary, overwhelmed with joy, I assume, with the birth of her first child, was also fully aware that the news Gabrielle brought to her nine or so months earlier had come true, that she would give birth to the Messiah. How did she take it all in? How could her heart and mind possibly treasure up all these first moments with her Savior? How many times did she replay it all in her mind?
The task of parenting my two treasured boys allows moments that I treasure and moments that I wish I could forget. The narrow path of following God's call in my life to love the people of the inner city allows me moments that I hope to never forget and moments that I feel totally incapable. Glory to God that he chose Mary so long ago to be the mother of my Savior and that she responded "let it be to me according to your word" when she received this news (Luke 1:38)!
A moment I will forever treasure.

No comments:
Post a Comment