Friday, October 14, 2011

'Cation

This past week we were able to take a family vacation, or 'cation as Ben calls it, to Fall River State Park. We stayed three nights and enjoyed some great family time together. We love state park cabins because they are always so secluded and quiet - perfect for us! The cabins generally have basic amenities, just enough. This cabin only had one bedroom so the boys had to share a room. I was nervous how that would work, but they did great! Ben very obediently went to bed without a peep since Nate was already asleep. 

Nate seemed to grow up on this trip. He went from not being able to get much food in his mouth by himself to an almost perfect pincer grasp. I put some food on his tray just to tide him over while I finished the first meal and he gobbled it up. He continued to feed himself every meal from then. He also pulled up on everything in sight and even cruised on some things. He hasn't ever done that at home! It was fun to watch. I think we just needed some time away from our every day routine to notice just how much he is growing up.

Ben has always loved to be outside so this was a heavenly 'cation for him. He went outside just after breakfast and came in only for meals. We probably would have eaten outside if the Kansas wind wasn't so strong. We even read his bedtime story by the fire each night before putting him to bed. 

Ryan and I had to admit that we are getting older though - ya know Ryan is already 30! On Wednesday morning Ryan fell while we were playing with Ben's ball and sprained his ankle pretty bad. He stayed sitting with his left foot up for the rest of our vacation unless he was hopping to the bathroom. I even rented crutches from a pharmacy this morning because he is attending a men's conference all weekend and still can't put weight on his left foot. It was a bummer, but we still had a great time our last day.

 When I think of this vacation I will remember lots of food, dirt, and giggles!

This was our view from our front door. The river was very low, but we got to watch the sun rise each morning (vacation with two little ones does not allow for sleeping in) and watched the moon come up each evening. It was beautiful. 
 Daddy and boys digging in the dirt. 
 Nate had no fear of the grass. Anywhere Ben went, he was close behind.
 One morning we had very thick fog, but the boys were not deterred. 
 Chilly or not...we were outside!
 Such a sweetie!
 Morning fire in pjs.
 Nate mastered these stairs with ease. We mastered chasing after him to get him back down. He never fell, thank goodness.
 The park has a little park. We took a stroller walk to swing for a few minutes one day. Then, back to dirt digging!

 The river was so low that we had to walk through lots of what used to be under water to get to the water. Ryan and Ben threw lots and lots of rocks!
 Did I mention there was lots of dirt digging? 

 The evidence of a good time outdoors.
 More rock throwing, this time without Dad. Shortly after this picture he got a boot stuck in the mud and pulled his foot out of the boot resulting in mud everywhere! I rinsed a lot of clothes on this trip!

 The best part of vacation is the sink bath. Can you tell Nate enjoyed it?
Carter Family Vacation 
Fall 2011

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Looks like you guys had an awesome time! Besides the wind, it looks like the weather cooperated with you too. You're boys are just too darned cute.