I have found that the phrase "everybody has a story" is appropriate in so many different situations. So much of our story directly affects the way we look at life and function in society. It makes us who we are. Some of our story was given to us without our consent and some we designed based on our own life choices. But you might never know why someone acts the way they do or how they got in their current situation if you don't know their story. We make assumptions about people every single day without knowing their story.
I was at a world-dominating retail store this morning and was treated unkindly based on my assumed socioeconomic status. I'm not upset because it was assumed I don't have much money, that is a correct assumption. (Let me stop right there and assure you all that we have more than we need and most of what we want. We are not lacking for anything!) Continuing on... I am upset because I was treated like a lesser person because of my SES. With a couple of mean glances and some loudly mumbled words I instantly felt horrible about myself. I had to give myself a quick pep-talk to hold back the tears and remind myself that no one in that store knows my story. If they did, if they knew that I was a missionary and have chosen to not pursue wealth and status, but to serve the urban poor, would that change their view of me? Should my story really dictate how I am treated anyway? Just because I have chosen to be content with what I have and not strive for the American dream of having more of everything doesn't make me any more worthy of being treated kindly than my neighbor who has made some poor life choices and is stuck living in a neighborhood that he might not readily choose if given the opportunity.
Yesterday's sermon at our church (preached by my handsome husband) was about hope in a new king - hope in the first advent of Christ when he was born as a baby as we will celebrate in a few weeks AND hope in his second coming, hope that he will return in all his glory to bring peace to this earth and restore justice. Our church is a fantastic place full of people from all walks of life. There are people like me that have chosen this life and there are people that certainly wouldn't have chosen it, but have found themselves there for many different reasons. I don't need to know their story to love them. I don't need to know their story to know that they have ever right to be treated kindly and with respect. I don't need to know their story to know that they need a Savior just as much as I do.
I could have left that store this morning feeling really bad about myself (and maybe I do a little), but God must be doing something in my heart because I left that store with more resolve to be kinder to my neighbor and more loving to the people around me. I have found great pleasure in smiling at my mail carrier that just rang my doorbell while I am typing. When we first moved in, he wouldn't ring the bell at all but just leave my packages on the porch and run off. Then, he realized I was home every day and started ringing the bell, but would never return my smile or my hello. After a year and a half, he actually smiles at me sometimes, usually says hello back and waits patiently since it usually takes me a minute to get to the door if I am busy with Ben. I have no idea what his story is and I most likely will never know. But, he is a person deserving of my kindness and I hope that just maybe he knows there is something different about me and my household as he delivers mail in a pretty uninviting neighborhood.
If you made it all the way through this post without tuning me out, I hope that you are also encouraged this Christmas season. For those of us that are believers, we have such a great hope that we need to share with those around us. This whole advent season at our church is themed, A Thrill of Hope, The Weary World Rejoices. There are a lot of weary people that we brush shoulders with every day. Sometimes I am that weary person. But, there is a thrill that comes from the hope that we have. I pray that people would see that in my life, whether they know my story or not.
3 comments:
It’s funny that you are talking about stories because I have been thinking of my own here lately since we are once again uprooting and starting over in a new place. I find that I am treated differently by folks when they find out for whom I work. Funny enough, it is assumed that my SES is low and that I have apparently not worked hard enough to do any better for myself. It used to offend me until I finally fully understood the purpose in which this company was founded upon and that the folks I work with are more than my co-workers, they have become my family. I’ve had a low SES the majority of my life, but have learned many lessons from it that I will never forget. I am good with what I have because I know it has been entrusted to me for a reason. My job, at work and home, is to ensure that I am doing His work, His way. That’s my story.
I love it! I love you--but you know I don't love you as much as our Father does!
I DID make it through your wonderful post and I want to add a little story of my own: Bill & are are "friends" (on facebook) with our mail carrier from Mesquite, Texas. He's a believer and I think he encouraged us more than we encouraged him.
this is so convicting and makes me more aware of how i treat others. i like the reminder to remember that everyone has a story. awesome blog!
Post a Comment