Friday, December 26, 2008

Belly Picture and My Musings


Well, here is the belly progression picture. What do you think? It is much bigger this month! (You should be able to click on the picture and see it bigger, if you care to.) I am now at 28 weeks and into my third trimester. I have read that Ben's lungs are pretty much fully developed now meaning he would have a very good chance of survival should he arrive now. That is a scary thought. I am glad to know that he would most likely survive, but I really am not quite ready for him to meet the world. He still has so much growing to do. That is the thought that has been running through my head endlessly lately.

Ben has also been moving quite a bit. Ryan feels him often, but not as often as I do. This last week, Ben has not been as cooperative in his moving. Before, he would move three or four times a day and move a lot during those times so Ryan could always get there in time to feel him. This last week though, he seems to be moving more often throughout the day, but only in little spurts. As soon as I call Ryan into the room, Ben is done moving.

Ben's eyelids are opening and closing these days, so we read to try shining a flashlight on my belly and see if he will move in response. We have tried a couple of times, but I haven't noticed him moving in response to it. We will keep trying. It is a fun (and harmless) idea.

I think I have noticed Ben moving in response to music. A few different times I have been in places that had instruments or just voices played over speakers with microphones and Ben always moves during that time. I want to turn up the bass really loud in my car and see what happens, but I haven't tried it yet.

The only pregnancy ailment that has plagued me lately is heartburn. I have never had heartburn before getting pregnant and I don't like it to much. I talked to the doctor about taking something preventative rather than just medicating when it comes and that has really helped. I am able to lie flat in bed now without feeling like my throat is on fire. Much better.

This Christmas has been especially meaningful as we think about the birth of our son and reflect on the birth of God's son, Jesus. My friend Darby told me that the holidays might be extra emotional in my pregnancy. There is one song that keeps playing through my head that I have loved. If you have listened to a radio station playing "all Christmas, all the time" then you have probably heard Faith Hill's song, A Baby Changes Everything. Since I am constantly thinking about how much Ben will change our lives, I have loved hearing this song and thinking about the changes that Mary had to feel as she carried God's son in her womb. And, then to think that her baby, Jesus, changed my life eternally. And, my son will change my life forever in this world.

We are going to be parents...we are a little scared and a lot excited.

Here are the lyrics in case you care and haven't heard the song. Since I have a love of Country music (don't tell anyone) I also love Faith Hill, so I recommend the song.

Teenage girl, much too young
Unprepared for what's to come
A baby changes everything

Not a ring on her hand
All her dreams and all her plans
A baby changes everything
A baby changes everything

The man she loves she's never touched
How will she keep his trust?
A baby changes everything
A baby changes everything

And she cries, oh she cries

She has to leave, go far away
Heaven knows she can't stay
A baby changes everything

She can feel it's coming soon
There's no place, there's no room
A baby changes everything
A baby changes everything

And she cries and she cries O she cries

Shepherds all gather 'round
Up above the stars shine down
A baby changes everything

Choir of angels sing
Glory to the newborn king
A baby changes everything
A baby changes everything
everything, everything, everything

Hallelujah, Hallelujah,
Hallelujah, Hallelujah

My whole life has turned around
I was lost, but now I'm found
A baby changes everything
Yeah, a baby changes everything

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow. You're really growing there sister. Definitely the most notable growth between pics yet.

Great song. I think emotional is allowed while pregnant. :o)

Heart burn. It's been a long time since I've had to deal with that. Glad you're taking meds to head it off. Yuck!