Monday, September 8, 2008

Brief Fright

Ah, in all my preparation and trying to plan for everything, I was not quite ready for this doctor's appointment. Ryan and I just got home from my 12 week appointment with my doctor. At first, the nurse thought my blood pressure was too high. She took it again and it was fine. Whew. Then, she was listening for the heart beat and she kept listening and listening and listening and nothing! I was getting scared! It seemed like forever. She changed machines and tried again. Nothing. A tear slid down my cheek as I realized I hadn't thought about the "what if's" of this situation.

So, they moved me into the sonogram room and my doctor came in to try to listen. She and Ryan thought they both heard the heartbeat, but I couldn't hear it. She did an actual sonogram to let me hear it and it was loud and clear! And a bit fast because mom's heart rate was through the roof by this time! I'm even getting a little emotional as I sit and type this. It was scary. But, all is well with Baby Carter. We got to see him/her moving all over the place which was fun. His/Her little arms and legs were pretty spastic. Oh, another thing, my hemoglobin level was just barely in the safe zone, so she told me to start taking iron pills just to be careful of getting anemic. I don't care how many pills I have to take as long as it keeps that little heart beating strong!

By the way, I really like my doctor. She is very kind and seems to really care (even though she probably doesn't even remember me yet) and they are very fast. I have always been accustomed to waiting about 30 minutes to even get back to a room and then another half hour sitting there in those lovely paper clothes while my toes are freezing. At this doctor (I have been twice now) and we were in and out of the office in 30 minutes total! And, they are cloth clothes, not paper. Life is good!So, I thought I couldn't blog this long without a picture to keep you interested. We just took this picture of ourselves standing in our backyard. We are wearing jackets! Yes, today is September 8 and we have had yet another cold front come through and it is currently 64 degrees outside. We love it! It has been very cool for a couple of weeks now. We even made a soup and some chili over the weekend while we watched the US Open.

My next doctor's appointment is in 4 weeks. It will just be a regular appointment and then I will probably have another sonogram at 18 weeks and then we will be able to find out the gender!
Keep praying for Baby Carter!

3 comments:

Edwin and Lilly said...

We got your postcard! Thank you for the updates! Baby Carter is so cute!!!!

Lyn-z said...

What a reminder that life is so fragile....praying for you!

Anonymous said...

Wow, what a roller coaster ride! We're praying for you guys!