Thursday, June 9, 2011

Happy 6 Months


We tried to celebrate his half birthday with a cake, but we had tornado warnings and all kinds of heavy rain and hail so it was quick. Sorry for the not-so-great picture, second child.
My baby boy is 6 months old today! It does seem like it went by faster the second time around. He weighs in at 17 pounds, 12 ounces (50%) and measures 27.5 inches tall (75%). He has all the rolls to prove those almost 18 pounds! He is the happiest boy around and his dimples just make all the ladies melt. He is say "babababa" all the time now, mostly when he is playing alone which somehow makes it that much cuter. He is starting to sit up for about 30 seconds at a time if we prop him up. He rolls both ways with ease and I almost never find him like I left him. He scoots on his tummy mostly in circles and sometimes backwards.

I have tried several times to give him cereal and he just isn't interested so we aren't pushing it. We have a lot of traveling the rest of the month and I am not sad about not needing to take anything along to feed him but myself.

He grabs at everything and puts it all in his mouth. Once he really gets mobile we will have to reevaluate all the low-lying things around the house. Oh boy!
His routine is a bit like this:
8:30am - wake and nurse
9:30am -11/11:30am - nap
12:00pm - nurse
1:30pm - 3:00pm - nap
3:30pm - nurse
5:00pm - 5:30pm - catnap (sometimes)
7:00pm - nurse
7:30pm - to bed for the night

His routine is pretty stable. If we are on the go he naps fabulously in his car seat and stays asleep in the carrier as Ben and I run errands. Ever morning I am surprised that he needs a nap one hour after waking from sleeping 13 hours straight. But, if I keep him up until 10am he is extremely difficult to get to sleep and it makes for a rough morning with Ben running around the house while I'm trying to get an over-tired baby to nap.

He is a left-thumb-only sucker. He plays with his hair with his right hand. In his 5 month update I wrote that I didn't foresee Nate becoming a tummy sleeper any time soon. Not long after that I started finding him on his tummy when he woke up. It is still about 50/50. He almost always goes down for naps on his tummy but always goes down for the night on his back.

We gave up the dream feed a couple of weeks ago. We had some people over after the boys went to bed and they stayed way past the dream feed time. I just decided to see what would happen and Nate woke at 8:30am like always. So, that was done and we haven't looked back. Nate is willing to flex his routine a bit except for the 7pm feeding. Our Sunday church service is in the evening and I always know what time it is because Nate will fuss at 7pm on the dot! It is amazing. As long as I nurse he is willing to play and be fine until we get home for bed. Silly boy!

Ben likes to get in the crib when we go in to get Nate up from a nap. Nate is always so happy to see his big brother crawl in with him.
Almost everyone that meets Nate comments on his happiness or his dimples. He gives the best, huge grins when people acknowledge him and has just started to bury his face in my shoulder while smiling. It gets a big reaction! He is also willing to let anyone hold him unless it is eating time. I watch him float around the room at staff functions going from person to person. He is a complete delight and we can't believe he is getting out of the baby stage so soon.

2 comments:

Edwin and Lilly said...

Happy 6 month birthday to Nate! You are a good mom to do even a half-birthday cake! :) I don't think Evan's gonna get one. Unless all the stars are going to line up...haha.

If only we lived closer, Evan and Nate would be good buddies. Evan is only a couple weeks younger...it would've been fun to have these chubby boys tumbling around on the ground together!

For now, we'll just keep up via cyberspace. ~lilly :)

Unknown said...

I love the cake!