Ben and I took our first solo plane trip to visit Mama D and Aunt Can Can and so many of our friends and family in Midland, Texas. The plan was to have a big "meet and greet" for everyone to meet Ben for the first time.
Fasten your seatbelts. It's going to be a turbulent ride through the next section of this blog.
Everything started well. Ben slept the entire flight to Houston where we were expecting a 2 hour layover (9am-11am). We shared some Shipley's kolaches (yummy) and then made our way to our gate. Delay, fog in Midland. More delay, changing the tires on the plane. Board the plane (1.5 later). Switch seats because gate attendant put us in the wrong seat for an 'infant in arms.' Sit for 30 seconds and pilot says flight is canceled. Off the plane. Call mom, need to cancel meet and greet. Hold back the tears. Notice everyone from my flight is in one really long line. Darn it! I am supposed to be in that line. Now, third from last in line to get a new flight. Assigned a 4:50pm flight. Sister Trisha brings some food for me and Ben and to hang out for a second in baggage claim. Back through security, more waiting. Delay, something mechanical on plane. Seriously? Finally get on the plane and make it to Midland in time to see the missed field goal and the interception to win the game.
Whew. See what I mean about still remembering the pain?
However, through all that craziness, we ended up having a fabulous time (and an uneventful flight back home). A few people were able to come by my mom's house or meet us at a restaurant to see Ben. He wasn't his usual friendly self with all the people coming and going. He was more clingy than I can describe. I think he got too used to me holding him after an entire day in my arms at the airport. (The left side of my body is still sore, by the way.)
He has now met all his great grandparents which was very important to me. Not many people have great grandparents alive and Ben still has all 4. What a blessing!
I didn't take near as many pictures as I might have liked, but here are a few (or a lot).
Meeting Paw Paw (my dad's dad).
Opening his first 1st birthday present.
If you made it to the end, congratulations! Hopefully, the 11 month blog coming up tomorrow.
3 comments:
Your title line is oh so very true!
Wow! Sounds eventful. You've got some great photos on here. I'm glad everyone got to meet Ben. Eventually Ray and I will too. :o)
I'm so sad that we didn't get to see each other!! :( :( Glad you had a good time with family, though. And I'm super glad you got there safe and sound. OH, and I don't know if I will ever have another child bc of the pain....just sayin'... :)
Post a Comment