Almost daily for a week or two I have heard myself say out loud, "I love my son." Now, of course I have loved him since the day that little stick had two lines, but he has become more and more fun lately. I find myself mourning the fact that he is hitting the huge 1 year milestone so soon. I feel like he needs me less and less these days. But, the trade off is that he shows more personality and understands more every day. When I put him in the high chair I tell him "hands up" and he lifts them. So convenient. When he is playing he will give me a toy over and over again. How kind. When I need to be washing dishes or cooking dinner, he plays happily by himself. What a blessing. He gives the best open mouth slobbery kisses I have ever received. It feels like an attack, but it is in love. He thinks he is the funniest person he has ever met. He laughs at himself all the time. He also thinks he is the smartest person he has ever met. He claps for himself all the time. I'm not sure what to make of it, but he pats himself on the tummy or the chest often. He knows he's the man! He pats his daddy on the back a lot. It is the cutest thing in the world. He waves bye bye to daddy when he goes to work. Imagine me holding him on my left hip while we say bye to daddy. He waves with his right hand a lot, the hand that is behind my back when I hold him like that. Ryan can't see the wave, but he knows. Ryan has his own ringer on my phone. Ben knows it's him when it rings and gets excited that daddy is coming home. I pull the blinds up on the front window and he waits anxiously to see daddy come across the street. It is usually really sweet except yesterday he crawled to the door and Ryan knocked him in the head when he came in. Oops - mommy should be watching a little better.
I think that is enough bragging for now. I just thought you all needed to know how much I love my son. Now, some more info.
It has begun. The weaning process, that is. Maybe TMI, but it is a big deal in our house right now. I have thoroughly enjoyed being able to breastfeed with such success, but I admit that I am ready to be done. He was nursing 4 times a day, breakfast, lunch, dinner and bedtime. I have cut out the dinner feeding. I really think he would give up all but the morning feeding cold turkey and be just fine, but my body needs some time to adjust. So far so good. He doesn't seem to miss it and can be pretty easily distracted. I really love when Ryan is working from home and he gets him up from his afternoon nap. Then, Ben doesn't even think about wanting to nurse. He just wants to play with dad.
In my last post I said he broke out in hikes from cow's milk. My grandma graciously mailed me a carton on Blue Diamond Almond Breeze. Yummy. Ben really likes it and no reactions. I am looking around Wichita to find something like it. I also plan to try Soy and just see if it works. I have read so many different things about milk allergies vs. lactose intolerance. I know he isn't lactose intolerant because I drink a ton of milk myself so he gets that when he nurses. So, we will see how it goes. I welcome your advice or stories of what worked or didn't work for you.
Now, for some cute pictures.
My mom gave him these child sized cooking utensils. I love it and so does he.

Remember Bozo the Clown?

1 comment:
Oh Amber. I just giggled at all your cute descriptions. You are such a good mommy and I love your documentation of his early years. Wish we lived close :(
Post a Comment