Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Tour de Texas

Last year we said we would never travel that many miles through Texas again (1900 total miles). This year, we didn't go quite as many miles (1400 total miles), but whew, are we glad to be back home.

We had a fantastic time seeing all our family and some wonderful friends, but all three of us are such homebodies that we were glad to be back in snowy Kansas. We left Houston at a balmy 55 degrees and returned to see the same snow with a little more still on our driveway and yard.

Thank you again to all our family and friends that gave us SO many gifts. Ben does not need any more toys! I may put a limit on how much he can be given for his birthday :) Just kidding - I know those of you that just gasped at reading that. Seriously though, we all three were just amazed at how generously you all gave and are tremendously blessed by it. When visiting my youngest sister Trisha, she told me that she and my other sister Candice have decided that "blessed" is the word to describe our little family. She said that every time we have need of something or maybe don't even need it, it seems to appear for us. We definitely feel that way. We have never gone without and we are so thankful for that. The Lord uses so many of you to bless our lives - from the diapers that mysteriously appeared on our doorstep month after month to the homes that have offered us a place to stay to the baby clothes from people we have never met. It is all so humbling.

Now to the pictures that you really want to see.

Our church had a tacky sweater Christmas party. Ryan won honorable mention. Ben isn't really tacky, but he is wearing a jingle bell belt that I thought was pretty tacky.

Before leaving Kansas, Ryan and I dropped Ben off with the Penner family so we could go see A Christmas Carol in 3D. Ben loves playing with Ethan and Bree and it was reported that a fabulous time was had by all. We call Bree "Ben's biggest fan" because she loves Ben to death! And he loves her too. He lights up and giggles and plays when he sees her.

I love Ben's face here :)

Couldn't they be siblings?

As we were getting ready to leave when we picked Ben up, Ethan brought out his Chiefs helmet. Ben was not too sure about it!


First stop on the Tour de Texas was the Chamness home of Miss Hayden. We were able to have dinner with some friends and see 2 pregnant bellies that we hadn't seen yet and meet another new baby, Campbell, that we hadn't met yet.
Ben was thrilled with Hayden's toy box and took as many things out as he could. She was kind enough to let him. Sorry H, but I know this isn't your best picture ever.

Next stop was Ryan's mom's house, but I don't have the pictures for that yet. More to come later.

Then on to my sister Trisha's house. This was my first time seeing her home so that was fun. She has two little puppies and Ben thought they were the best toys in the world. The feelings were not mutual. He tried to chase them around, but they were too fast. He even cornered them and wouldn't let them back into the house when they had gone out to use the potty. I forget how warm it stays in Houston!

Poor Marley's heart was probably beating our of her chest, but Ben was obviously thrilled.

Ben and Mama D reading a book while Ben stood inside his new toy box from Grammy and Papa Tom.


Go Midland Rockhounds!


Ben has reached a new milestone - teeth brushing. I should have already started this, but I had been 'brushing' his teeth with the washcloth when I cleaned his face after meals. We noticed that wasn't getting the job done, so he has his very own spinny toothbrush and he loves it.

He leans down for it like it will get away from him.


Ryan told me I was making a funny face in a different picture, so I really gave him a face! Lovely, I know.

3 comments:

Ryan Carter said...

that last one is a gem.

Lauren said...

Fun Stuff. We are totally with you guys on the homebody label...we are very 'homey' too :) Glad you got a toy box for all of his new toys ;)You look great, even in a UH t-shirt...Go Coogs! Yay Ben for clean teeth and a fun brush!

Unknown said...

I really want to see a picture of the tacky sewater that won the contest if Ryan got honerable mention! Yea for the UH shirt! Glad you guys made the trip safely and had a wonderful holiday!