I was at an appointment today with Ben and I was asked about my support system for being a new mommy. As pictures of my friends flashed through my mind, I was reminded that they all live so far away, multiple states away. I was in a Bible Study last week where we were talking about people that we go to for advice or accountability. Again, these far away friends flashed through my mind. On Monday, I was reading a blog of a friend of a friend that I have never met (remember the blog about the sweet mom that sent me the fun cloth diapers) and her adorable son was wearing the same outfit that Ben was wearing that very day and they have the same boppy cover that we have. So, I had to send her a picture of Ben. Here are our two sons on Monday.
So, why all these vignettes (I think that is a fun word) you may ask? In being away from all our family and all my friends, I have found great comfort in blog reading, email and facebook spying. I don't know how many times I emailed some of my girlfriends during my pregnancy to ask "is this normal?" And they always said, "yes!" I don't know how many times I have laughed out loud while reading a blog (what would I do without stories of Kenzi?) or even cried while reading a blog (especially as new babies have been born that I haven't been able to meet).
The Information Superhighway has become a great source of comfort for me while we are so far away. The group of people here at World Impact are fabulous and will probably be life-long friends. But there are only a few people that know what it was like to support a husband through Dallas Seminary and then there are the care group girls from our church in Dallas that still consider me a member (I am honored). And, there are so many other friendships scattered around that are great sources of comfort and encouragement for me.
4 of the 6 care group girls in Dallas were pregnant at the same time early last summer. Lisa, the one next to me, sent me this picture last February demanding I photoshop myself in when I was pregnant. So, while I wasn't actually able to enjoy pregnancy with them, I kinda feel like I did through all our emails, blogs and of course, this picture.
So, if you read my blog randomly or faithfully, be sure and leave a comment now and then. I love when the conversation goes both ways!

6 comments:
this one made me a little teary-eyed. we miss you guys huge!
Loves from Dallas!
Ahhhh...so sweet! I am with Lisa on this one...it touched me! HUGS!
Uncle Larry isn't much for reading blogs or facebook, but I enjoy both. I share pictures from your blog and some of the stories you share. We wish we were close enough to play an active part in your lives, but staying in touch this way does help some.
Love,
Aunt Ginger
Aw, this IS sappy but in a good way. You're such a great blogger that it helps us to feel like we're right there watching Ben grow up.
Miss ya, sweet friend! Gosh, I am glad I had a massive baby for an excuse to look so fat. :)
Great photoshopping skills, Amber!! I am impressed. At first glance, I REALLY thought you were actually pictured there!
Yes, I agree. I've enjoyed staying in touch with you through the "information superhighway" even though we haven't been in the same city (nor state/country--depending on what time period) in like FOREVER.
We weren't in DTS with you but we were there with y'all in spirit. Now, you'll have to give me tips in supporting husband through seminary. :)
Love,
-Lilly
Post a Comment