This Saturday began as usual - Ryan got up to feed the kids and I was enjoying my cup of coffee in my bed. My morning of peace! Ryan came in and said something like "I don't want to alarm you, but Nate is complaining his stomach hurts. I don't think he has any fever." I decided to come out of my peaceful room and give him a little hug or something. He had his head down on the table and as I lifted him up he was totally limp. He was super clammy, so I decided to get him out of his warm pajamas and let him cool off a bit. As I tried to change him, he was like a rag doll. He was talking to me, but kept falling back in my arms and his eyes started to roll back. I immediately switched into another gear. Something was wrong!
I got dressed, grabbed some things and we headed out to the emergency clinic since our doctor's office closed for the Easter holiday. We got all signed into the clinic and Nate was perking up a tiny bit because they had cable tv playing. The nurse called me to the window with all my cards in her hand and said, "We can't see you here after reading why you came in. You need to go to the ER."
Panic. The adrenaline started pumping so hard that I was forcing myself to think clearly. Nate was on my hip, hanging over my shoulder. Off we went.
A couple of days ago we had some serious straight line winds come through and knock down multiple, huge power lines right in front of the emergency room entrance! I had to weave my way around a few different streets to find a way there. I went past the "Do Not Enter. No Through Traffic" sign and cones and into the emergency entrance.
The smiling face asked why I was there. When I explained she shoved a piece of paper at me and said, "Just name and birthday. Don't worry about the rest."
We were quickly ushered back and they took all his vitals. The doctor pushed on his stomach and thought appendicitis immediately. They wanted to put an iv in just in case they would need it later and took a lot of blood for labs.
The nurses thought he was so brave when they put in the IV (and he was!) that he got about six stickers which he refused to stick to anything, but kept looking at like a prized possession.
After some waiting and a sonogram, nothing was really confirmed. He slowly began to perk up more and regained his color. He was standing on his own again and said his stomach was no longer hurting.
The doctor advised that we go home and just watch him carefully. The other alternative was a ct scan and he really didn't want to expose Nate to radiation at such a young age unless it was absolutely necessary. So, we are home. Waiting. Watching.
Ben had an Easter egg hunt while we were in the ER and he brought home lots to share! Nate was immediately enthusiastic about that and was back running around the house in no time. He has continued to look and act totally fine for the rest of the day.
We will keep watching him carefully just in case it is appendicitis that could flare up again and be serious if we don't watch it.
I have such great respect for parents of children with great health concerns. My body feels like I took a beating after all that adrenaline coursing through me this morning. Decisions to be made. Watching him look so lifeless. Trying to pretend I was brave when I was in knots. It was draining.
We are so thankful for his love of life and his loud giggle that has permeated the house all afternoon. And for a big brother that cared so deeply for him, but didn't withhold the pestering completely once we were back home.
We even dyed Easter eggs and laughed and chatted and just had a wonderful family time together this Easter weekend.

No comments:
Post a Comment