Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Great Value vs. Blue Bell

I love ice cream. I love it so much that I have very particular preferences about my ice cream. Not just anything does the trick. I don't like "chunks" in my ice cream - cookie dough...gross. I like it just a little melty - the best way to achieve this is lots of stirring, something my sisters despised me for growing up.

While I can be super picky, I also just love ice cream. So, if say a Great Value ice cream sandwich is offered, I will gladly eat it. Something is better than nothing.

My ultimate favorite is Blue Bell's dutch chocolate with a couple of spoons full of peanut butter, mixed and mixed until it is all one creamy delicious mixture. Heaven!

Heaven to me is like my perfect bowl of ice cream. This world that we live in is like a Great Value ice cream sandwich. It has its good parts, but it is nothing like Blue Bell.

I am not sure why Heaven has been on my mind so much these last few months. A while back of pastor friend of ours posted about this song on facebook.


All of the comments to our friend on facebook were something like "Don't think about leaving us Pastor. We need you!" I had also been thinking so much about that song and I was shocked at the responses from all this guys' "friends." I wanted to give a hearty "Amen" but I would have been the only one so I held back my comment. But I haven't forgotten it.

I remember being a little girl, young in my faith, and telling God (hahaha) that I would love to join Him in heaven one day, but I would prefer to meet my grandchildren...wait, be old enough to see my grandchildren grow up...oh wait, maybe great grandchildren would be nice too...and I wanted to die before my loving husband. That's all. As I have matured in my faith, I find myself often thinking "Come, Lord Jesus." I look at my calendar, I look into the eyes of my beautiful children, I enjoy laughter with my friends, and yet I still think anytime is a good time for the Lord to return. 

If I had to choose between giving up the Great Value ice cream sandwich in order to receive the Blue Bell dutch chocolate, I know what I would choose every time!

All I know is I'm not home yet
This is not where I belong
Take this world and give me Jesus
This is not where I belong
lyrics from "Where I Belong"

No comments: