Saturday, March 17, 2012

Happy St. Patrick's Day

Like many people, St. Patrick's Day is only about wearing green for me. I don't drink gallons of Guinness in celebration, so my green shirt is about as far as my partying goes. As part of my role at World Impact I follow many people on twitter and facebook to get ideas for posting/retweeting on World Impact's facebook and twitter. This afternoon I was checking my twitter feed and saw many articles talking about the man behind St. Patrick's Day. I was intrigued and starting looking into his life a little more.

Patrick was captured and put into slavery at the age of 16 by Celtic pirates. During his isolating years in captivity, God spoke to him in an amazing way and gave him a love for his captures.

He escaped and returned home at the age of 22 and became a priest. At the age of 48 he had a dream where his former captures said, "We appeal to you, holy servant boy, to come and walk among us." SO HE DID!

He went back to the very people that had enslaved him and preached the gospel and thousands were saved! His obedience to God's call in his life transformed an entire nation.

I'm not sure that God has plans for our family to change the urban poor population in our entire country, but I do know that he has called us and we are to continue sharing the love of Christ among the urban poor here in Wichita.

Happy St. Patrick's Day!

No comments: