Friday, January 27, 2012

Married vs Buried

Me: "You can become a daddy one day after you are married."
Ben: After a long pause, "When they put me in the ground?"
Me: "Um...well...yeah...ya see..."
Ben: "Where is Daddy's grandma?"

Last weekend Ben had his first experience with death and the reality of someone being buried (not married). Last Tuesday, Ryan's grandma, Dorothy Barlow went to be with the Lord after 85 years on this earth and 65 years of marriage to her loving husband Marvin, or Grandpa Bud. While this was of course a sad occasion, we are thankful that Grandma Dot is now in the presence of her Lord, in her right mind and with a restored body!
We packed up the kids and made the eight hour drive to Abilene, Texas and were able to be with the family for the weekend. We were not sure how Ben would process his first funeral or how we would answer all his questions. He did have a ton of questions! Many of them he asked multiple times. Some of them he continues to ask, even just today. We weren't sure how Nate would do without naps and while teething and he decided he had enough ten minutes into the funeral service and we were seated on the very front row with the family. (He was still super cute and adored by everyone though! Just hard on the mama.)

Ryan and I are extremely blessed that this is the first of all four sets of grandparents to pass away. When we think of the testimony of their lives, their many years of faithful marriage, and the endless times they all serve each other in amazing ways as they age we only hope that we can follow in their footsteps. Grandpa Bud is one of the most tender men I have ever known. Since the time I met them, Grandma Dot has needed assistance in everyday activities to some degree. I usually saw her sitting in the same spot on a couch, sipping iced tea. Ever so often Grandpa Bud would ask, "Do you need anything sweety?" as he gently leaned toward her and touched her hair or hand. It was always so tender. He loved her! Even at the funeral, with so many of the children, grandchildren and great grandchildren gathered he told me, "I wish Dot could have been here for this." I am honored to have known them and Ryan and I are so blessed to have such powerful examples of love and faithfulness in our families.

With the heaviness of the weekend, we still found time for some fun and laughter because there were ten great grandchildren in town! We stayed in a hotel with a heated, indoor pool. It was like bath water! Nate hated the floaty thing we borrowed for him but loved sitting on the top step and splashing. Ben loved the floaty thing because he could get around in the pool by himself and play with his cousins. He still hasn't stopped talking about his cousins. I didn't get many pictures because the other family members were taking them but I haven't asked any of them for copies yet. These two will have to do.

Nate emptied the suitcase for us. So kind.
 Don't wrinkle your funeral clothes! Watching Toy Story 3 on our laptop with our Netflix subscription. 


1 comment:

Edwin and Lilly said...

Just now catching up on my blog reading... So sorry for your loss and the passing of Ryan's grandma. But praise God she is in a better place.